Eligibility for the O-1 artist visa requires that the petitioner be prominent in his or her field of endeavor. However, guidance by USCIS suggests that it imposes a higher standard for individuals who work in motion picture or television production that for individuals in the arts. Thus, actors carry the burden of establishing that they are extraordinary in their field.
This extraordinary ability in motion picture or television production can be established by providing evidence of the following:
- If the beneficiary was nominated for or received significant national or international awards or prizes in the particular field such as the Academy Award, an Emmy, a Grammy, or a Director’s Guild Award.
- Evidence that the beneficiary has performed, and will perform, services as a lead or starring participant.
- Evidence that the beneficiary has achieved national or international recognition for his/her production work in the form of critical reviews published by major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other publications.
- Evidence that the beneficiary has a record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes based on rating, standing in the field, box office receipts, motion picture or television ratings.
- Evidence that the beneficiary has either commanded a high salary or will command a high salary or other substantial remuneration for services.
A few things you can start compiling to was the application process include:
- Your resume that details each and every work that you have done so far. And this definitely does not have to abide by the general “one page” rule so put down all your accomplishments!
- Any playbills, posters, or advertisements that you were featured in.
- Any letters of recommendation from experts in your filed who can speak about your achievements.
- Any of your interviews or critical acclaims you received in newspapers, magazines or other publication.
- Any awards or endorsements or publicity that you have received.
The volume of papers and the entire process can weigh you down but we at the Law Firm of Moumita Rahman are experienced in this field and are always ready to help with your process of getting an O-1 visa.